Tuesday, April 13, 2010

In the Negev

I write this from the Ramon Inn. These people think that R50 per hour is an acceptable price for wifi access. They are wrong.

So what did I do today after the last entry? First off I must apologise. No photos. I took a few. But with my main camera. No way to transfer them till I get home. Hopefully I won't forget tomorrow.

One place we visited was Yad Mordeciah. It is a kibutz named after a Jewish man who made a big impact in WW II. He lead a rebellion against the Nazi exteminators. The visit had two parts. We learnt about the history of the place, how the place got started and how it was run. Started with very poor people who got a meager daily food allowance. Was populated with Jewish people from all over the world. However this kibutz was very secular even liberal. The part of the tour I really enjoyed was when we went to the 1948 war of Independance memorial. There was a decisive battle fought there against Egyptian forces. The Israeli forces retreated after six days but this gave the other troops a chance to get ready to win the war which they did! They fought with the strangest of weapons (I have photos) some home made. That part of the tour was really good because I had watched a documentary that included that battle. I have it on my computer at home if you want to take a look at it sometime.

Then we had lunch. Had a swarma and coke for $9. Not cheap. Then off to Be'er Sheva. If you are wondering why that sounds familiar, it's one of the places Abraham stayed in and dug a well there. There are excavations that go all the way back to the time of Samuel. Not to the time of Abraham as he didn't build any structures. We also saw a pagan Jewish altar there. Jewish because it had four horns, pagan because it was made of cut stone and God had said that only uncut stone could be used! The last thing we looked at at Be'er Sheva was a cistern that was dug to store water inside the city in the event of a seige. Man was that thing deep.

Then we were in the bus for the trip to Mizpe Ramon. The town is near the edge of a large crater . The crater is not created by a meteorite and probably wasn't volcanic. Haven't had a closer look yet but hopefully tomorrow.

No coffee included with the meal at this hotel. Incredibly cheapskate if you ask me! Still have one more night here so might have a coffee breakdown :) Just kidding!

It is interesting to note that on my first day of touring I visited no places that I had been before. So it's a truely new experience!

And there was one place where the flash may have been useful. I think I should send someone a bill for every photo I miss!

One final thing before I sign off and get some sleep! In Hebrew the 'b' and 'v' are often switched! So if you switch the 'v' in Be'er Sheva with a 'b' you might recognize the place name better *grin*

Till tomorrow then!

-- Post From My iPhone

Location:נחל האלה,Mitzpe Ramon,Israel

No comments: